Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer won't boot--HELP

You can remove the hard disc of your laptop, put it in an usb external hard disc enclosure (now external hd cases are cheap), connect to your pc, then format it, copy the content of the install CD (eg XP)
    on the formated disc and then place the hd back to your laptop.

With this way Windows will detect your laptop's hardware (that's why I didn;t tell you to install Windows on you PC before you place it back to the laptop)

Or
    you can use an external cd drive

cuore

Quote Originally Posted by Jats View Post
    Looks like the computer is refusing to boot from CD drvie cos it cannot read or detect that drive.

I have changed the boot sequence in BIOS, its showing up in device manager that CDdrive is there but its refusing to read or boot from it.

How do I get it to read from CD drive?

If it cannot read from that drive, even if I format the C drive, I won't be able to reload any of the software......

Ahhhhh....this computer problem is so frustrating.......

Help anyone?
    Last edited by cuore; 09-21-2009 at 03:13 PM.

"Love is a feeling, not a decision" ✄✗

Quote Originally Posted by cuore View Post
    You can remove the hard disc of your laptop, put it in an usb external hard disc enclosure (now external hd cases are cheap), connect to your pc, then format it, copy the content of the install CD (eg XP)
    on the formated disc and then place the hd back to your laptop.

With this way Windows will detect your laptop's hardware (that's why I didn;t tell you to install Windows on you PC before you place it back to the laptop)

Or
    you can use an external cd drive

cuore
    Those were my thoughts initially as well.
    However I cannot get into the CPU casing.....it's diverted shut.
    I already have an external drives. The operating system and a few programs are on the c drive, the rest are on the external.

Now it read the windows disk that came with the computer but unable to re install----fatal error in one of the files.
    Trust dell to come up with a quality product????

usually the manuals that come with laptops have some instructions of how to remove/replace/upgrade parts of the laptop such as RAM slots, hd etc.
    Check dell's site. There's should be a way to extract the hd.

cuore

Those were my thoughts initially as well.
    However I cannot get into the CPU casing.....it's diverted shut.
    I already have an external drives. The operating system and a few programs are on the c drive, the rest are on the external.

Now it read the windows disk that came with the computer but unable to re install----fatal error in one of the files.
    Trust dell to come up with a quality product????

This problematic computer is a desktop.
    Main CPU unit cannnot be opened.
    Manual says send back to factory---India/china
    I am reluntant to do that and have identity stolen.......

Can I disable the c drive from bios?
    And just use an external?
    Do you think this might work?

If you really want to secure the hard drive, you should probably face reality that the warranty isn't going to work for you.

You may just need to consider that a cost of doing business as it were.

You may want to try a local technician if you don't feel you can open the computer and safely work on it.
    James

Is it just me or do you hear the sound of tweets too? What about facing a book?

I am not sure if you can disable C from bios, but try to set as first boot device the
    external disc and do the process we discussed before (install windows there). You
    have nothing to lose by trying this, because you will not change anything at C disc.
    I think it will work, if it let you boot from the external disc.

cuore

This problematic computer is a desktop.
    Main CPU unit cannnot be opened.
    Manual says send back to factory---India/china
    I am reluntant to do that and have identity stolen.......

Can I disable the c drive from bios?
    And just use an external?
    Do you think this might work?
    Last edited by cuore; 09-21-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions and help.....I really appreciated that......

I finally got it to work.....

It did not want to read the HIREN boot disk. The only disk it read after multiple tries was the WIN XP re-installation disk that came with the computer. It won't let me REPAIR....so my only choice was to Format it.

Did that, re-install the operating system. Then found out that none of the drivers that came with the computer worked!!!!

So could not get online to get the updated drivers. So nothing works right now.....

But managed to call the manufacturer DELL that is.....and after a while on the phone with this guy with very heavy Indian ascent.... found out that they sent me the wrong pack of CDs when they shipped the computer.......

Ha ha ha...... DELL.... a venue for great product and customer service......

Anyways, they are going to resend (NO CHARGE) the correct pack of CDs... should have it in two days or so..... WHEW!!!!!

With those drivers, I should be able to drive this desktop again...... but will still look at some new laptops---always good to have a spare lying around......

Thanks again you guys.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123