Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer won't boot--HELP

Default Computer won't boot--HELP

YAKS!!!
    My hard drive on my main computer had been making this loud noise lately like an aircraft about to take off.

Today....it kept freezing up and now it won't boot.

Finally Rebooted and hit F8 and able to boot in SAFE Mode, but it won't let me Restore to last good operation.

What should I do now???
    Cannot open the back of the CPU cos its riverted shut--- I used to be able to ADD memory strips, 2nd hard drive etc...or just vacuum the inside---clean out the dust etc.... now... only can push buttons.....

Running Windows XP home edition.

Very bless to have an additional notebook to ask questions and for help......

HELP anyone??

Copy and data off that drive that you can and be prepared to replace it.

If the data is really, really, important, turn off the computer and get a recovery company to see what they can get.
    James

Is it just me or do you hear the sound of tweets too? What about facing a book?

OMG!!!

That is the last thing I wanted to hear.......
    I was hoping for a cocktail---of healing remedies that is---for the computer....

Remind me next time NEVER to buy another DELL..... the last one I built from scratch was way better than this DELL.

Thanks James......

Can anyone recommend a reliable computer??

Considering another laptop---lightweight one, easy for travelling than a desktop. Desktops take up too much space and are non portable.

Recommendations anyone???
    Good and bad about the unit is very much appreciated.

Apple thin air book??? Another use that one? Pros and Cons??

Sorry to hear about your computer Jats, that's not good at all, once the HD goes, you've had it really

I've had a few laptops over the years and I've found the best to be Toshiba with Sony running a close second.

I've had my Toshiba for nearly three years and although it's really too big and heavy to carry about easily, there are smaller ones on the market (Mine has a 17inch screen!) But it's very solidly built, is fast and cosidering it's on all the time when I'm home, it's very quiet, with the fan only coming on now and again for a second or two. I type on it a lot, but the lettering on the keys is still perfect and the screen is literally crystal clear. It's never let me down once. The only downside really is probably the price as they tend to be a bit dearer, but for me they're worth the extra money.

The Sony I had was excellent, but not quite as solidly built as the Toshiba. I've never had an Apple so I don't know what they're like my self, but my friend has an Airbook and she loves it.

I've been reasonably happy with my Dell.

My boss used to get them all the time because of the service she could get.

You should be able to replace the hard drive and the computer continue to work fine though. That is probably the cheapest solution.
    James

It is trying to reboot.seems like it's has a major lack of memory . Or a serious case of the swine flu. Big headache---computer kind. Thanks though
    Last edited by Jats; 09-19-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Some years ago my laptop had a hd failure and it couldn't load the operating system. Sometimes it was able to load the operating system but I couldn;t transfer to my external hd any of my data because the system seemed to be in an idle mode - no response to mouse, keayboard hits, and you could listen a loud and continuous noise coming from the fans.

What I did is that I booted using the Hiren's Boot cd (extremely useful to have it, no need for any other diagnostic, recovery, testing etc tool) and I used the diagnostic and testing utilities. After many attempts I finally took an image from my hds with Norton Ghost (Hiren's Boot cd has many options to take images from your discs) and after this I ordered a new hard disc, I did a format and the laptop became better that it was before.

Before you start seeking for a new laptop find the Hiren's Boot cd (google search...), boot your system using this cd and try to use some of the diagnostic, recovery and testing tools for the RAM and hd. If you are lucky enough you may take an image of your hds. after this you can figure out if your laptop needs to be replaced or it needs a low cost upgrade/repair.

I think the best laptops are HP, DELL and Toshiba. Now I have an HP and a DELL and I haven;t experience any serious problem so far. I should say though that I take image from my disc every 3 months, save the most important documents every week and do format every 3 months as well.

cuore
    Last edited by cuore; 09-20-2009 at 02:31 AM.

"Love is a feeling, not a decision" ✄✗

Thanks everyone.
    I can boot it in safemode but it will not let me restore.

The computer does not have a floppy drive. How do I make a boot disk or load one to boot?
    It did come with a cd to reinstall win xp.
    Will this cd also function as boot disk?

What cuore was suggesting is getting a CD with utilities on it that let you get an image of the hard drive and save that so you can restore your computer just like it was before the hard drive failed.

The XP disk likely gives you an option to repair the windows install or do a complete factory fresh restore.

Assuming your problem is the hard drive is failing, that won't really help.

If you have your computer on a network that lets you connect two computers together, you might be able to save the image over the network.

An alternative would be if you have a CD/DVD burner that is compatible with Ghost, it could burn CD's or DVD's with the image.
    James

1) Turn on your laptop
    2) Press the key button that insert you to the BIOS environment (eg F2, F8, or Del depends on your computer) before start loading the operating system (if you don't know which button is, just press all the f buttons and the Del ). You need to strike the button immediately, when you start seeing some information of your system configuration, (RAM, motherboard etc).
    3) Now you see the BIOS screen.
    4) Change the boot order (now first device should be the hard drive and then cd/dvd, change this order so that the first device be the cd/dvd and then the hard drive)
    5) Save the changes and before you exit insert the cd you want to boot from. I recommended u before the Hiren's boot cd because it has everything, but if you want only to take an image, use the Norton Ghost or any other software that you can take images with and it's bootable.
    6) Exit from the BIOS.
    7) Now ur computer will start reading from the cd/dvd unit and will not start reading from ur hard disc (it will not load the operating system)
    8) Now if you read carefully what Norton Ghost show on your screen and the options available for taking an image (save to ur hard disc, save in network, save in external usb device etc) you'll manage to take the image.

cuore
    Last edited by cuore; 09-20-2009 at 01:57 PM.

"Love is a feeling, not a decision" ✄✗

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast