Thread: router help...

Default router help...

Okay so, I'm on my aunt's computer typing this.

My router has decided to give me fits again in the last few days. A few days ago my aunt said the power went out for a minute and came back on. I was at work when this happened. Well, apparently since this happened, my wireless router won't work. I used to have problems with it quite a bit when I lived at home, and until now, it's worked fine since I've been living with my aunts and I've been living with them since this past October.

Here's what's happening:
    When we plug the DSL modem and computer in through the router, neither my aunt's desktop nor my laptop works. My laptop feeds off the signal from the router, thus giving me the opportunity to be online in my own room in the house without being plugged in to a wired connection. When we unplug the connection from the router and run the DSL modem straight into the computer, the Internet on her computer works fine, but of course I can't get a connection on my laptop.

We have called our phone company who is our internet service provider, and they concluded that the connection is good, and the DSL modem is good, and that it must be the router so they told me to call the router company. So I called the company that manufactured my router and after they looked up my information the said my warranty was up and that they can no longer help me over the phone unless I pay a fee for a one-time help use, or a bigger fee for a six month help use. So I know it's my router.

I found the receipt to it tonight. I put the CD in and tried to re-install the whole thing but nothing is working. I've had it since October 2007. Do these things wear out after a few years, or is there some other problem?

The only reason I'm asking is because I am pretty much at the point of buying a new router because I've been having problems with this one off and on for a long while now and I think there is just a problem with THE router itself, or the brand. Does anyone know something I don't? Is there ANYTHING else I can do to possibly get it to work?

President & Proud Shortie of the EDSHFC!!

Laugh!,
    Nicole

If you haven't already, I would power it off a few minutes and then turn it on.

You might also want to think about taking it to somewhere like Best Buy where they have the Geek Squad and let them look at it.

It might also simply be less expensive to replace it since the labor might simply be too much to justify.

It seems unlikely in this situation that you would need to do anything to the computers.

Now that I think about it, you might want to be sure to turn everything off a few minutes and then turn it back on. A very short power flicker can do odd things to electronics.
    James

Is it just me or do you hear the sound of tweets too? What about facing a book?