Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our shelter is on the verge of closing

Default Our shelter is on the verge of closing

Converese, Tx Animal Shelter.

support Your Local Shelters.......
    Last edited by Holla1968; 01-24-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Unreachable

Holla, I'm so sorry to here that You have worked so hard and I want to say dont give up, but I dont know much about running a business. I do support our local shelter and the some others, but what type of help do you need? I know you aren't asking for handouts... but what is it that is making your shelter close? I'm sorry I am clueless... I feel so bad for you because I know how much you love it. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Just a suggestion a local shelter did this when they became over burdened with animals.

You could perhaps do an adoption fundraiser where you dont ask for money but you bring a specific amount of docile pets, to meet with prospective adopters. This was very effective, the same rules appiled as normal adoptions, such as background checks and other legal paperwork to complete the adoption. The dogs do not go home with the person adoption until all is complete, but it does prove to be very effective. The fundrasier itself shouldnt cost too much as you can get people to donate. I've done some charity work with shelters in the past and this is a pretty good way to handle these types of situations.

I am looking for a new dog myself, as I am moving out into my own place soon and my parents are keeping one of my dogs. My youngest has always had another dog around and I dont know how he will handle living alone without a playmate. So I am looking for a female large breed dog. If you would like to send me some specifics on some of the big dogs you have there. Maybe I can help in some way by adopting one. I am in Chicago so I dont know if you can do that, but I would be willing to pick up the dog.

Also let me know if you need any supplies I can try to get a few for you and ship them over to you. I love animals and I would hate to see a shelter go down. Anything you need let me know and I will do my best to help you. I cant give much, but I can sure give something.
    Check out my blog for fun stuff and general rantings http://fillysplace.blogspot.com/

For the Creative Writers and Artists please join my message board at
    http://z11.invisionfree.com/Creative...Creative_Muse/

Quote Originally Posted by bgfilly View Post
    Just a suggestion a local shelter did this when they became over burdened with animals.

You could perhaps do an adoption fundraiser where you dont ask for money but you bring a specific amount of docile pets, to meet with prospective adopters. This was very effective, the same rules appiled as normal adoptions, such as background checks and other legal paperwork to complete the adoption. The dogs do not go home with the person adoption until all is complete, but it does prove to be very effective. The fundrasier itself shouldnt cost too much as you can get people to donate. I've done some charity work with shelters in the past and this is a pretty good way to handle these types of situations.

I am looking for a new dog myself, as I am moving out into my own place soon and my parents are keeping one of my dogs. My youngest has always had another dog around and I dont know how he will handle living alone without a playmate. So I am looking for a female large breed dog. If you would like to send me some specifics on some of the big dogs you have there. Maybe I can help in some way by adopting one. I am in Chicago so I dont know if you can do that, but I would be willing to pick up the dog.

Also let me know if you need any supplies I can try to get a few for you and ship them over to you. I love animals and I would hate to see a shelter go down. Anything you need let me know and I will do my best to help you. I cant give much, but I can sure give something.

I agree! I too love animals and I would be willing to send you anything i can to help out. I've often thought of starting my own shelter...I can't stand to see homeless or abused animals. My dog was adopted from a shelter and I can't imagine my life without her! I'm not kidding, I'd give my right arm for her. Let us know how we can help!
    "I'm the cat by the bar toasting to the good life"

Quote Originally Posted by AnastasiaBeavrhausen View Post
    Holla, I'm so sorry to here that You have worked so hard and I want to say dont give up, but I dont know much about running a business. I do support our local shelter and the some others, but what type of help do you need? I know you aren't asking for handouts... but what is it that is making your shelter close? I'm sorry I am clueless... I feel so bad for you because I know how much you love it. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    I Love Too. Thank You!

The problem is peopl dumping their family members. The most common excuse: "we're moving" OR "I didn't know the dog would get this big. He eats too much".

We can get 4 adopted and get 5 more in the next Day. It's like shoveling during a blizzard.

We have time....We're doing all we can to make sure we're still year in two years!

Quote Originally Posted by bgfilly View Post

Are You serious? We have some great ladies, there. Angel. (original name: "Her") She is so sweet. VERY playful. She get's along with other Dogs. She just craves attention.

Molly (who is about to start her Heart worm treatment). She's Young and playful and full of love.

That's another thing people do not put their pets on Heart worm prevention. So, they find out they have heartworms and Drop them off.

bgfilly: We have more kids....need more photos. I'll P.M. You!

Hey, Lisa! Love to see Her!

Bless Your hearts!

Well, I wont be moving until March or April depending on when my house is finished which seems like its taking forever and since we have been pelted by a huge snow storm, its causing more delays! Right now I currently do not have the room to adopt at this very moment because I still live at home with my mom and dad and I have two very big male dogs one of which is my dads and he wont let me take him, but my mom is ok with my taking him so I dont know what will happen with that. But as soon as I move depending on if my dad lets me keep my other dog or not I will definately be in the position to adpot another dog. But as far as actually adopting a dog goes thats a promise I cannot make until everything is less up in the air, but keep me updated on dogs in your shelter that may suit me.

What I can definately do right now is send you some supplies that you may need. So let me know what of any supplies you may need and I will be more than glad to send over a care package.

Both dogs you posted seem very sweet. What is the shelters rules on out of state adoptions? Perhaps I can pass some information along to other people looking to adopt dogs.

You say that Molly is starting her Heartworm treatment? Is her prognosis good? How advanced are the heartworms? I know heartworm treatment is very hard for a dog to go through.

I am basically looking for a dog, that is playful, good with other dogs, large breed. Do you have any female rottweilers? Jack my dog, is a rottweiler and I would love to be able to have another one. They are the sweetest dogs I have encounted so far.

As I said in my previous post, I cannot give much but I can sure give something. As someone who is studying to be a vet, watching a shelter close is one of the hardest things, as animals need love and support to. Sometimes it seems that people forget that.

Perhaps you can post more pictures of more animals on here maybe you can make more connections. Alot of people on here are pet lovers!

I wish you the best of luck.
    Check out my blog for fun stuff and general rantings http://fillysplace.blogspot.com/

When Your're ready to move - Consider adopting from a KILL shelter in Your area. Most give 72 Hrs. You'll be LITERALLY saving a life!

Thanks! Prayers are needed.

Illinois seems to have as much of a problem as here in Texas. Talk to people....bring it up in "chit-chat" small talk conversation. Whether it's while standing in a check-out line OR on a "blog".

Mention what's going on in EVERY City!

Voicing support for shelters - Volunteering at a shelter - The Non-Profits really need it.

Alot of shelters have always been overburdened with pets, but here in Chicago they arent in danger of closing. As I said some of the shelters around here do fundrasiers. They tend to be very sucessful, and the annual pet expo is also very successful they adopt out a ton of dogs.

I have always been very big on pet adoption. I always promote it. I learned that lesson the hard way. When I bought a dog from a pet store, my rottweiler Jack. He was bred at a puppy mill and has under developed kidneys and his vet says he is most likely inbred. Since then I have taken a huge stance on trying to stop these places exisiting. I have even written to Ellen about it in hopes she will do a show dedicded to helping to stop these places. So every conversation I have with someone who is talking about buying a dog. I usually point them to one of the shelters in area.

I usually give to shelters all over the country and have been a proud member of the ASPCA for a long time.

There's a rottweiler shelter in WI where I send packages too once in a while. Usually blankets, copy paper(which they often need), canned foods, toys, blanets.

I do some volunteer work with an attorney who specializes in will's and it insures that the pet is taken care of should the owner pass.

Some day I hope to own a shelter of my own. I wish it could be sooner rather than later but one step at a time.

Unreachable

Holla, if you have a website you can post, and I know you are not asking for handouts, but maybe some people on the forum can send you funds or supplies... like I said, no one is saying you are asking and I know you are not, but I know I want to help in any way, and maybe some other people will as well... even just buy a bag of food and send it to your shelter... or some supplies or even a small amount of cash. I'd hate to see animals not get what they need, not saying youre not giving them anything, but to have a shelter close when its your passion and business that is NON PROFIT, we must help even if we are not involved with a shelter. I haven't done my donations yet this year and I'd like to donate to yours. It wont be much but every little bit helps. Maybe some others will feel the same. We gotta help out our friends, and you too!

I'm such an advocate for pet adoption! I make myself stay away from the local shelter here though. I could easily become one of those crazy ladies with 25 dogs and cats running around the house. I could never turn one away

Most recently my boss was going to pay a breeder for a dog that he wanted. I talked him out of going to the breeder but he was still hell bent on getting a certain breed so I found a rescue group and he is now a proud new doggy daddy.

My dream is to own a farm one day and take in any animal that needs a home.

PS I love the pictures you posted. Those babies look so kissable!
    "I'm the cat by the bar toasting to the good life"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast