Thread: Meerkats

Default Meerkats

In case anyone is interested, "Meerkat Manor: the Story Begins" will be on at 8 PM ET on May the 25th (Sunday) on Animal Planet. Afterward they will have a short program about the making of the movie. The movie is the life of Flower who was the dominant female of the Whiskers gang until she was bitten by a snake and died. Whoopi Goldberg is the narrator of the movie. The movie was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival and in London.

On June 6th the 4th (!) season of Meerkat Manor: the Next Generation (new name) will begin on Animal Planet. The Animal Planet website has some cool pictures of the meerkats--many of whom are identified by their real and not their "stage" names. The new narrator will be Stockard Channing--I think that they are going for a view from the dominant female. The series will be on at 9 PM E/P on Animal Planet.
    http://animal.discovery.com/fansites...t/meerkat.html

oh thanks for the heads up, i love watching that show it is a very interesting show.

"It hit me... you are out of rum. If you are quiet it will come." E.D.

Yeah, i love this show...cant wait for it to come on over here again.

And Monkey World pretty great show as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oldie51 View Post
    ........many of whom are identified by their real and not their "stage" names.

I love meerkats & have watched the show, but how do "they" know their real names????
    ~Jayne~

Cheers Big Ears

That's a good point, Petal. The are named by the researchers and that and an id number is how they are identified when they keep track of the animals. The producers of Meerkat Manor often change the names of the meerkats so, although it doesn't matter to most people, crazy people like me who keep up with all of that tend to get confused. For example, there is a meerkat whose "real" name is Zarathusthra (probably difficult for the narrator to say) who I believe is going to be renamed "Seacrest" this season. The researchers sometimes give the animals strange, unusual of obscure names that wouldn't mean anything to most people. Some of the animals like Flower and Zaphod didn't have their names changed.

Sorry for the dissertation. Also, sometimes another animal will be a "stand in" when the real animal is not available. Understandably this is what happened for the filming of the movie because Flower was never filmed when she was a pup.

Quote Originally Posted by oldie51 View Post
    sometimes another animal will be a "stand in" when the real animal is not available. Understandably this is what happened for the filming of the movie because Flower was never filmed when she was a pup.
    Wow, you really are the guru of all things Meerkat!! Thanks for sharing all that info about the Show.

Being an avid viewer, can YOU tell if there's a stand -in?
    ~Jayne~

Cheers Big Ears

What the world really needs is more love and less paper work.

LOL I wouldn't call myself a guru! There are people out there who can tell those things a lot better than I can. The researchers put black hair dye on different parts of the fur of the little creatures. There are people (the real researchers) who keep track of that so they know who is who. Everything goes into the computer. I am a member of a group called the Friends of the Kalahari Meerkat Project. That is where I learn the real info about the meerkats. If anyone is interested in checking it out, the website is here: http://friends.kalahari-meerkats.com/